Hole-in-the-Wall Learning Station
There are many benefits of the Hole-in-the-Wall Learning Stations:
- Enables Learning where there are no learning facilities and in remote locations
- Access to technology
- Access to quality digital and innovative content
- Solar powered un-interrupted learning
- Promotes Gender Equality making no distinction amongst learners based on their gender
- Reduced number of out-of-school children and improved attendance
- High impact group learning through knowledge sharing
- Development of 21st century skills – life skills
This model of Hole-in-the-Wall Learning Station is built on the following framework:
Piyush Naresh Bhai Patwadiya is studying at Prathmik Shala Juna Borbhatha in Class VII. His father works as an auto driver and mother sells vegetables at a nearby market. Piyush has always been a slow learner in school. He takes time to understand concepts. Conventional teaching learning methods were not giving him enough time to absorb what was being taught in class. He found subjects like Maths, Science and English to be difficult. He was lagging behind in his studies and loosing interest in coming to school. According to his teacher, Ms. Hemlata Ben, he was very reserved as compared to his other peers and would be restless in class. He would sit at the back of the classroom and would not participate.
Hole-in-the-Wall learning station (HiWEP) started in the month of February 2018 at Piyush’s school. He began using the HiWEP Learning Station. He enjoyed the play-way learning method. The station uses examples to explain concepts and Piyush could learn according to his pace and interest. He began to slowly understand subjects and could even revise topics on the station.
Piyush is grasping subjects due to this interactive method of learning. He is a regular visitor at the station now. He uses MS Paint a lot and manages to solve Maths problems with ease on the system. He encourages other children to use the learning station as well. His concentration and participation in class has visibly improved and he wants to go to school everyday.