Skilling at NIIT Foundation
The large population of underprivileged youth residing in urban slums lack or possess negligible vocational skills. This prevents them from taking advantage of the vast employment opportunities in the cities of India. Therefore, many youth living in urban communities remain unemployed or under-employed.
Skills training is one of the most powerful tools for making a lasting impact on the lives of these young people and their families. The aim is to make them self-reliant and instill Changemaker qualities in each one of our students.
NIIT Foundation has various models through which skill training is provided to our beneficiaries.
- The first model is the setting up of Skilling Centers. These are Career Development Centers providing short-term courses focusing on digital literacy. These centers are set up in remote locations of India, where even basic digital literacy is lacking. The aim of these centers is to benefit the unemployed youth living in these locations, with the objective of providing employment to youth in the organized industry. These centers target 18-30-year olds.
- NIIT Foundation recognizes the need for skilling to go beyond technical skills. The second model through which NIIT Foundation is providing skill training is by setting up IT Foundation Centers. These centers are meant for tier three towns. The IT programs are designed for people who may be digitally literate. A foundation is provided to build careers. These centers offer courses including personality development, communication skills and impart work-etiquettes in the students. These centers focus on the all-round development of every beneficiary at the center. The courses are long term. These centers target students in the age of 16-30 years.
- NIIT Foundation also provides a sponsorship model, where one can support skilling of students across our centers and locations.
The Methodology followed across our centers include:
- Community Mapping and Mobilisation
- Counselling students and their families on the importance of skill development
- Certified Courses focusing on youth employability
- Industry linked training at subsidized cost
- Preparing students for Interviews and providing them with professional skills
- Placement opportunities for youth who have completed the course
NIIT Foundation has a wide range of career and non-career focus courses to choose from. Some of these courses include Professional Edge, Advance Word-Excel, Certificate Course in Active Basic IT (CCAB), Office Automation Course, CRM BPO, Retail and Inventory Management Course, Logistics Banking and Financial Services (BFSI), Spoken English and Personality Development Course, Financial Literacy Course, Digital Literacy Course, Digital Marketing Course, Career EDGE IT Professional + Fast Track etc.
NIIT Foundation prepares students to build careers and assists them with placements. For this Job fairs, placement drives, mock-interviews, counseling and follow ups take place on a regular basis. Some of our key placement partners are ATC, HCCB, Cisco, NTL Technologies, Wipro, Microsoft and more.
Skilling Going Virtual:
In order to ensure that Learning can take place Anytime and Anywhere, NIIT Foundation has transitioned to a Learning Management System, LMS for our students. LMS is available in both web and app format. There are both career and non-career courses available on this system. These include Retail and Inventory Management, Logistics, Digital Marketing, Personality Development and Spoken English. There is also Active Basic IT, Career Edge IT Professional, Professional Edge, Digital Literacy and financial literacy courses that students have access to on LMS. In order for this to work, students are also being provided with a lot of self-learning material including E-books, videos, quizzes, collaborative exercises and module assignments. NIIT Foundation is also providing online assessments after each module and summative assessments during term end, for certification. As we move forward, a more hybrid model of implementation is developing where in students will have access to the center facilities and the availability of online sessions. Virtual Skill Trainings are being organised on a large scale enabling us to continue in our mission of creating a deep impact across our communities.
Today, there are Five Key Features that make Skilling Programs at NIIT Foundation Stand Out:
- Certified Courses
- Over 250+ Industry Tie-ups
- Developing Changemakers
- Option of Virtual Learning
Replicable and Scalable Model for Quick Deployment in any urban or semi urban location